German Bienen Stich (bee Sting Cake)
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 1⁄2 cup cottage cheese or 1/2 cup Quark
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 cup sliced blanched almond
- 3 tablespoons custard powder
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- Make sure cottage cheese is well drained then push the cottage cheese through a sieve (or in blender).
- Blend in oil, sugar and salt (If mixture is in a blender turn it into a bowl.).
- Mix in 1 cup flour, baking powder, and add milk.
- Knead remaining flour into dough add a little more if necessary.
- Grease a 20cm (8-9") springform pan and spread evenly with dough.
- Melt butter, add sugar and stir until it dissolves.
- Add vanilla and milk, stir in almonds.
- Let topping cool.
- Spread on top of dough.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 200 deg C or 400 deg F.
- Cool cake.
- Blend custard powder, 1/4 cup of the milk and sugar, stirring until custard powder is dissolved.
- Boil the remainder of the milk (3/4 cup), add to custard milk mixture stirring until thickened.
- Cream butter and add the custard bit by bit.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let chill in fridge.
- Cut the cooled cake horizontally (to make 2 layers).
- Spread chilled custard cream on bottom half of cake (cut side up).
- Replace the top layer, almonds on top.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
The recipe is an interesting adaptation of several out of the 'Dr. Oetker Schulkochbuch', the book that taught generations of Germans how to cook and bake. Unfortunately the author forgot to mention 1 tsp of bakingpowder(fresh, bakingpowder looses potency with age) to be sifted into the flour. Cakeflour, rather than all purpose flour (with it's much higher gluten content) might yield a more tender cake. A hint given to me by a former student of the Dr. Oetker cookingschool is to add the custardcreme to the beaten butter by the teaspoonful and to keep beating until all custard has been absorbed by the butter, etc.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live in Canada our winters are far to long and cold. I like to try new recipes. I don't really have a favorite cookbook. I enjoy reading fiction, my friends,good conversation,gardening,and the great outdoors. Love to travel, by plane, boat or automobile. My pet peeves are inconsiderate drivers who stop on a main road holding up traffic. <br />I'd really enjoy spending some time camping IN THE SUMMER by a beach or go the caribbean in the winter-- to the beach at one of the all inclusive clubs they always have a lot of different foods to try.. <br /><br /><a href=http://www.amazingcounter.com><img src=http://c9.amazingcounters.com/counter.php?i=1862985&c=5589268 border=0 alt=HTML Counter /></a><a href=http://www.onlinecomputercoupons.com>Dell</a> <a href=http://www.onlinecomputercoupons.com/dell-server.htm>Server Computers</a></p> <p> </p> <p> </p> <p><br />Participation & Awards:</p> <p><a href=http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z205/jubespage/ZWT7%20Banners/9d968c99.gif></a></p> <p><img src=http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z205/jubespage/ZWT7%20Banners/9d968c99.gif alt= /></p> <p><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/berriesblinkie.gif alt=Image hosted by Photobucket.com /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%203/ZWT3-Participation.gif alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://www.satsleuth.com/cooking/RecipeSwap2.JPG alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r317/j_welcome/pics2/food/PRMRcopy.jpg alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Zaar%20World%20Tour%204/ZWTAB-tg.gif alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/Sharon123/NZT-2-AnnaciasZaarTagbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Annacia's banner for Zaar Tag /><img src=http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/Sharon123/Copyoftag300-banner.jpg border=0 alt=Susie's Banner for Newest Zaar Tag /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/ZaarStar-AMBanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket> /></p>