Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Giada De Laurentiis Everyday Italian. She says - This sauce is named after the Marquis de Bechamel. In Italian, it's called balsamella or besciamella. The original and full French version also involves steeping some onion and a bay leaf in milk for 30 minutes to infuse the sauce with more flavor but here's an everyday approach. My simplified version is a snap to make and is perfect with baked rigatoni with bechamel sauce. You could also use it the way you would hollandaise sauce.
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 4 cups whole milk, warm
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1 pinch fresh ground white pepper (to taste)
- 1 pinch nutmeg, freshly grated (to taste)
- In a 2 quart saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour and whisk until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the warm milk, whisking constantly to prevent any lumps from forming.
- Simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the sauce is thick, smooth and creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Do not allow the bechamel sauce to boil.
- Remove from the heat and stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt and a pinch each of white pepper and nutmeg.
- Season the sauce with more salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.
- The sauce can be made up to 3 days ahead. Cool, then cover and refrigerate.
Made it today for a dinner casserole , so good
I made half recipe and I had great results. I used skim milk and it worked :D I used a little bit of salt (even if usually I omit salt, but for a bechamel it needs salt). I used fresh black pepper. I omitted the nutmeg. Next time I'll add diced onion in the butter. My mother always made her bechamel sauce and the taste is wonderful. I used the bechamel sauce 3 days later with pasta and canned salmon with the liquid. Very great dinner we had. Thanks Lazyme :) Made for 123 hit wonders
This is SO good. I made exactly as stated. I wanted to use it as a sauce for baked rigatoni, but I only had ziti so it was baked ziti with bechamel sauce. I added some bacon as well and baked it for about 25 minutes. So delicious. I will make this sauce again for vegetables as well. Made for Photo Tag.