Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Not nearly as hard as it looks, this recipe makes 8 little individual cakes, perfect for a dinner party! It's a lot of steps, but if you take it slowly & one at a time, you will go down in history for this dessert! *Note* Time does not include overnight refrigeration
- 1 cup unbleached cane sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup light butter
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 ounces BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- Before you start, you'll need 8 ramekins (2 1/2-inch round, or 8 ounce tomato sauce cans, ends removed and cleaned) and 8 parchment paper pieces (9x4").
- Prepare Cake: Preheat oven 350°F.
- In large bowl combine sugar, flour and cocoa.
- In small saucepan combine butter, water and oil. Bring to boil and pour over dry ingredients.
- Add egg, buttermilk, baking soda and vanilla. Blend thoroughly.
- Pour cake batter into 10x15" sheet pan.
- Bake 10 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool on rack.
- Cut 16 (2 1/2" x 1/2" thick) rounds from cake and set aside.
- Prepare Mousse: Melt chocolate and butter in saucepan.
- Beat 3 egg yolks and add to mousse. Set aside mousse to cool.
- In small clean bowl beat 3 egg whites to stiff peaks.
- In second clean bowl beat 3/4 cup heavy cream to stiff peaks. Fold egg whites and whipped cream into cooled mousse.
- Assemble: Put ramekins on flat tray or plate that will fit in refrigerator & insert parchment paper inside each ramekin.
- Add one chocolate cake round to each ramekin, divide chocolate mousse among ramekins (spoon on top of cake).
- Add another cake round on top of mousse (do not press down).
- Cover with wax paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove ramekins and parchment paper from each cake and place on individual dessert plates. Garnish with fruit or sauces.
- If desired, spoon over with raspberry sauce, crème anglais or chocolate ganache sauce. Garnish with sliced strawberries, chocolate shavings, or mint sprigs.