Recipe by Kozmic Blues
Delicious and simple, make-ahead vegetarian meal. This was made for our Father's Day dinner this year. My father LOVES stuffed peppers, so my mother made this meatless version so I could eat them too! Cook time depends on the heat level setting of your crock pot.
Top Review by KissKiss
These were really tasty and smelled amazing in the oven (I didn't use a crockpot). I used Original Rotel tomatoes and they were too spicy for my young son, so next time I'll look for mild. I doubled the recipe and filled six medium-large peppers. I used a cheddar-jack cheese, but in the future will use all cheddar b/c I couldn't taste the cheese all that much. I'll definitely be making this again with those slight modifications. Thanks for a keeper!
- 6 medium red peppers
- 1 (15 ounce) can vegetarian chili
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- low-fat sour cream, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the tops, membranes and seeds from the red peppers.
- Stir together rice, chili, and 1/2 of the cheese.
- Spoon into the peppers.
- Pour the diced tomatoes and juice into a 5-6 quart crock pot.
- Placed stuffed peppers filled side up into crock pot.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 hours or high for 3 hours.
- Scoop out peppers to a serving plate, spoon tomato sauce from the bottom of the crock pot over the peppers, and top with remaining grated cheese.
- Serve with sour cream.