Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 2 mins
Since it says I MUST have a description, it's squid, battered and fried....
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 tablespoons chinese hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup flour
- 2 lbs calamari, cleaned, cut into rings
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 8 cups oil, for frying
- 6 leaves iceberg lettuce (large)
- curry mayonnaise
- Combine salt, pepper, garlic, fish sauce, wine, eggs, pepper sauce and paprika in blender and blend 30 seconds.
- Pour mixture into a large bowl and stir in flour just until combined.
- Do not overmix.
- Add calamari.
- Cover with plastic warp and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Just before cooking, stir cornstarch into calamari mixture.
- (important for crispness) Heat oil in large deep saucepan to 375°F (pinch of flour dropped into oil bubbles).
- Drop small batch of calamari into hot oil.
- Do not crowd the pan.
- Cook in batches until calamari rings are golden brown and crispy (about 2 minutes).
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- To serve; fill each lettuce leaf with 1 cup calamari and serve with Curry Mayo.