Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This batter is awesome for deep frying anything! Onion rings, mushrooms, zucchini spears, fish, chicken, shrimp, etc. It is light and thin so you can actually still taste the food you deep fried. This recipe doesn't seem like it would make a lot, but it's so thin that it really covers a lot of food.
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine 1/2 cup plus 1 T. water, 1 T. beaten egg, and oil.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and combine until mixed.
- Follow your deep fryer instructions for whatever veggie or meat you're frying.
- This batter is thin and delicious. Don't worry if it doesn't look like it's thick enough. It works great.
This did the trick & is extremely easy to make. I just made this batter to fry some zucchini & i love it. So light and crispy and not over-powering the natural taste of the zucchini (not oily). I did not end up using the 1Tblsp egg... only cuz i didn't want the rest of it (the egg) to go to waste.. I also used extra-virgin olive oil instead of veg (personal pref.) but still its turned out perfect. Excellent for appetizers! I am now wanting to try the left-overs on something else. I have already cooked some fish for dinner, but i can see how great this would be as a fish batter as well. Will also try this to fry cauliflower and onion. Just a note: I didn't really have to measure everything perfectly, just make it to the consistency you need it, for example for a thicker fish batter use less water, for light and crispy veg batter, add more water to make a smoother texture. Thanks very much for this light, refreshing batter recipe!
A great easy and tasty batter! I added some dried oregano and basil leaves and deep fried some fish. My daughter,who isn't a fish fan,cleaned her plate! Thumbs up all the way!!!
This was not only easy but tasted great! I fried some zucchini and onions for pre dinner appetizers. Will be using this recipe again for fish. Thanks so much for posting!