1/1 Photo of Bath Buns
2 hrs 15 mins
Heather Sullivan's Note:
Got this from Helen's British Cooking Site and they're very yummy and filling! The crushed sugar gives it a nice crunch and the egg glaze gives these buns a deep brown color.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 150 g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon superfine sugar (caster sugar)
- 2 teaspoons dried yeast (or 1/2 oz fresh yeast)
- 150 ml milk, hand hot (110-125F)
- 150 ml water, hand hot (110-125F)
- 300 g plain flour
- 50 g butter, diced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 75 g superfine sugar (caster sugar)
- 175 g sultanas (or raisins)
- 50 g cut mixed peel
- 1Place the batter ingredients (flour, sugar, yeast, warm milk and water) in a large bowl and beat with a wooden spoon, or on low in a mixer.
- 2Leave in a warm place until frothy for about 20 minutes.
- 3If you use Fast Action, bread maker, or quick yeast, omit the "leave until frothy" step.
- 4For the dough, place the flour in a bowl and rub in the butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- 5Add the flour and butter mixture, eggs, sugar, sultanas and mixed peel to the batter.
- 6Beat well for about 10 minutes (this is a lot easier with an standing mixer!) Cover (with plastic wrap or a clean damp tea towel) and leave to rise for 1 1/2 hours or until dough has doubled.
- 7Pre-heat oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas mark 7 and lightly butter or grease 2 baking sheets.
- 8Beat the dough well for a few minutes, place large tablespoonfuls/globs of dough on the baking sheets (6 per sheet).
- 9Cover (if you use plastic wrap, remember to oil it before hand!) and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes until doubled in size.
- 10Place egg glaze ingredients in a bowl and beat until well combined.
- 11Uncover buns and brush with egg glaze, then sprinkle with the crushed sugar lumps.
- 12Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- 13Leave to cool on wire rack.
- 14You can also replace the sultanas and mixed peel with 225g mixed dried fruit, as long as it contains some mixed peel.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bath Buns
Serving Size: 1 (1305 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 288.4
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 63.4 mg
- Sodium 50.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 12.9 g
- Protein 7.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: