Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe calls for blanching the basil before adding the usual pesto ingredients. It will keep several days refrigerated and can be frozen. Cook time is cool time.
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Put basil inside a colander or sieve and then put the sieve and basil into a large pot of boiling water; blanch for 15 seconds; remove sieve and basil and put into an ice bath; cool; drain.
- Squeeze basil dry with hands; chop roughly and put in blender with remaining ingredients except cheese; blend 30 seconds to color oil; add cheese and pulse to blend.
Made this today and it's very good! Used 2/3 cup xtra virg olive oil, 3 tbsp pine nuts, and grated some asiago instead of parmesan. It's oil predominant, however, so amount could be modified yet. Didn't use an ice bath but ran under cold water, nor did I do any chopping but placed leaves into blender as they were. The blender knew what it had to do! 5 stars for flavour, ease of prep, clarity of recipe,(even though I didn't follow meticulously!) Thanks, sugarpea!