Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I recall getting this from an old Gourmet magazine. It is super easy and great to have in the freezer for pasta. Fresh basil is a must. Difficult to give number of servings because it depends on how much sauce you like.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 10 basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (or more to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- In blender, puree ingredients.
- Shape into small balls.
- Freeze invidivually and then put in covered container.
- To serve: remove, warm to room temperature and serve over hot pasta of your choice.
I tried this - its simple and very good but butter-heavy. For similar flavour I grow lots of fresh basil every year & process leaves with a tiny bit of olive oil & freeze in 2-TBSP balls. This can be made into a small batch of pesto by adding garlic etc. or simply drop 1 or 2 frozen basil balls into minestrone or tomato soup for fresh basil flavour - its much better than dried basil.