Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a basic polenta recipe. You can serve it soft right out of the pot or serve it firm cut into interesting shapes and sautéed or fried to a crisp golden brown. The recipe welcomes flavor additions such as hard cheeses, vegetables, herbs, etc. Serve with stews, braised meats, grilled sausages and vegetables, ect. It's a wonderful alternative to the ubiquitous mashed potatoes.
- Bring the stock to a boil in a medium sauce pan.
- Slowly add cornmeal to the pot whisking constantly to prevent clumping.
- Return to a simmer while continuing to whisk.
- Reduce heat to as low as possible, cover, and cook for 30-50 minutes stirring ever 2-4 minutes.
- Serve as is or pour polenta into a rectangular baking dish, chill for several hours to set the polenta, cut into wedges or circles, bake, sauté, or fry the pieces of polenta until golden brown and crisp.