Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an Art Smith recipe, chef of Oprah Winfey. This is easy and fast and the best Focaccia recipe I have tried. I just tweaked it a bit.
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups unbleached flour (or more)
- olive oil
- Combine the yeast with ¼ cup of the water and the honey in the mixing bowl of a heavy duty mixer and stir gently. Let the yeast rest, 5-10 minutes.
- Add the remaining water, and add the oil and salt.
- Attach the mixer’s paddle and set on low speed while adding flour until you have a soft dough. Mix for about 4 minutes.
- Replace the paddle with a dough hook, set the mixer on med-high speed, and knead for another 10 minutes, or until the dough is smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out the dough to fit a half sheet pan or 9-inch pie pan or casserole. Place the dough in the baking pan or dish and press down on the dough with your fingertips, making indentations.
- Spread a little olive oil over the top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and a little dried rosemary.
- Bake in the oven for 30 to 45 minutes, checking periodically to make sure it does not overcook. Once the color has reached a golden brown, remove and let cool.
- Cut into wedges and serve hot or cold.