Recipe by Dancer^
Make your own with this easy recipe! Points 4.
Top Review by OwlMonkey
This is a great recipe, that I had issues with the first time I made it. I didn't realize how stiff the dough needed to be, so they fell. They tasted delicious but didn't look so hot. I've now made this recipe 5 times and i'm really getting the hang of it. One addition that I make that has a good flavor is that I use 1 tablespoon less sugar but add 2 Tbsp. barly malt powder; it gives it that slight yeasty flavor that I enjoy in freshly made bagel shop bagels.
- 4 1⁄2-5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package fast rising yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot water (approximately 120 F)
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4 cup poppy seeds or 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix 1 1/2 cups of the flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in a bowl.
- Add water gradually and beat for 2 minutes at medium speed, scrapping bowl occasionally.
- Add 1/2 cup of flour.
- Beat at high speed for two minutes, scrapping bowl occasionally.
- Stir in enough additional flour to make a soft dough.
- (Dough should be pulling away from the sides of the bowl).
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface.
- Knead for about 8 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding additional flour as necessary.
- Place in ungreased bowl.
- Cover and let rise in warm place for 20 minutes (dough will rise, but will not double).
- Punch down dough; divide into 12 small balls.
- Poke finger through the middle of the ball to the other end.
- Make a round hole about 1/2 inch in diameter.
- Place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Cover and let rise in warm place for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Boil at least 2-inchs of water in a large shallow pan.
- Lower heat and add a few bagels at a time.
- Simmer bagels in water for 2 to 3 minutes turning once.
- Remove from water and replace the bagels on the greased baking sheet.
- Mix together egg white and a tablespoon of water.
- Brush the egg white wash over each bagel.
- Sprinkle poppy seeds or sesame seeds over the bagels.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Italian Herb Bagels: Add 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning, and replace salt with onion salt.
- Onion Bagels: Add 2 tablespoons of dehydrated minced onion, and replace salt with onion salt.