Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 4 thin slices rye bread
- 1 ounce unsalted butter
- 2 firm dessert pears
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 ounces Stilton cheese or 2 ounces other blue cheese, rind removed
- watercress (to garnish)
- Trim the bread to oval shapes a little larger than the pears, and thinly butter one side of each slice.
- Peel the pears and halve them lengthwise- scoop out the cores using a teaspoon.
- Cut a thin sliver off the rounded side of each pear half to make it stand level.
- Heat the grill to high.
- Put the pear halves in a pan of water with the lemon juice, and bring to the boil.
- Remove the fruit with a slotted spoon, or tip into a sieve to drain; pat dry.
- Place a pear half, cut side up, on each bread slice.
- Cover with cheese slivers, making sure no cheese hangs over the edge.
- Place the pears, still on the bread, in the grill pan, and grill until the cheese bubbles.
- Place each pear on a small warmed plate, garnish the narrow end of each pear with watercress and serve at once.