Prep 45 mins
Cook 14 mins
Use a smoky, spicy BBQ sauce.
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breasts
- 3⁄4 cup bottled barbecue sauce
- 22 ounces california-style pizza dough (Tony’s Pizza Dough)
- unbleached bread flour
- 3⁄4 cup thinly sliced white onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, halved lengthwise, seeded, deribbed, and cut into thin strips
- 2 cups coarsely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
- Position an oven rack on the second-lowest level in an oven; place a baking stone on the rack.
- Position another rack in the upper third of the oven; preheat oven to 500°.
- Make the toppings: in a bowl, toss the shredded chicken with ¼ cup barbecue sauce; set aside.
- Have all the other ingredients measured, chopped, and ready to assemble.
- Coat a 14-inch pizza screen or perforated pizza pan with cooking spray.
- Place dough on a lightly floured work surface; lightly dist the dough with flour.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 10-inch round without rolling over the edges; lift the dough and check to make sure the dough isn’t sticking to work surface; shake the excess flour from the dough.
- Lay dough on prepared pan and gently stretch the dough into a 14-inch round.
- Top the pizza: spread the remaining ½ cup barbecue sauce over the dough, leaving a 1-inch border.
- Evenly distribute the onion, garlic, and bell pepper over the sauce.
- Scatter the chicken evenly over the vegetables; top with the cheese.
- Place the pizza in the oven on the upper rack; bake 8-10 minutes, until the crust is crisp and golden brown.
- Using a pizza peel, lift the pizza off the pan and place the crust directly on the baking stone (remove pan from oven).
- Bake pizza on stone 3-4 minutes, until the bottom of crust is golden brown.
- Using the peel, remove pizza from oven and transfer to a cutting board.
- Scatter cilantro over the top; slice pizza into wedges and serve immediately.