Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
You can either use your oven's broiler for this dish or your BBQ pit. From the Southwest chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 4 lbs broiler chickens (two birds)
- butter or fat, melted
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup fat, melted
- Have the chickens split down the back.
- Preheat broiler.
- Brush with melted fat and place on a heated broiling rack, skin side down.
- Replace rack about 5" from the heat, cook about 15 minutes, turn.
- Brush other side with fat and return to broiler.
- Keep turning, allowing 45 to 60 minutes for the birds to cook.
- Combine remaining ingredients to make a sauce and baste chicken several times with it during the broiling.