A nice twist to a Chicken Cobb salad. To get grilled flavor in every bite of this salad, cubed chicken is threaded onto skewers, brushed with barbecue sauce and grilled.
- 1 (16 ounce) package mixed salad greens (iceberg lettuce kind)
- 1 large cucumber
- 1⁄2 small red onion
- 1 avocado, peeled
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded
- 3⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- salt (to taste)
- fresh coarse ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 3 slices bacon, crisply cooked, drained and crumbled (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup ranch salad dressing
- Place lettuce in large bowl.
- Cut cucumber in half crosswise and remove seeds.
- Slice cucumber and onion.
- Then cut cucumber slices in half.
- Cut avocado in half lengthwise; remove seed and cut flesh away from skin.
- Dice avocado and tomatoes.
- Arrange cucumber, onion, avocado, tomatoes and cheese in diagonal rows, leaving a row open down center.
- Cover; refrigerate salad until ready to serve.
- Prepare grill for direct cooking over medium coals.
- Cut chicken into 1-inch cubes.
- Thread onto four 12-inch skewers and season with salt and black pepper.
- Place kebabs on grid of grill. Grill, covered, 10-12 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the center, turning occasionally and brushing with barbecue sauce.
- Discard any remaining barbecue sauce.
- Remove chicken from grill; cool slightly and remove from skewers.
- Arrange chicken down center of salad; sprinkle with bacon, if desired.
- Drizzle dressing over salad; toss gently and serve immediately.
Nice flavorful, light and easy dinner. I used sauteed chicken tossed with bbq sauce, but looking forward to making again using grilled bbq chicken. Thanks for posting the recipe.
Excellent warm weather meal. I grilled the chicken plain, and just drizzled the bbq sauce over the salad with the ranch before mixing.
What a great idea for a Cobb Salad! I loved the flavor combinations. An added bonus was that the salad was beautiful to serve! I've never tried bbq chicken on a salad before and thought it really worked well. I subbed the cheese for hard boiled eggs and added a few more slices of bacon. Thank you for posting! Made for Spring Pick A Chef in the Contests/Events forum.