Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
Want to have the taste of New Orleans on your breakfast toast without the fuss and fat? Try this chunky, sweet and rum laced jam instead!
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 (1 g) packetcaramel flavoured stevia, i.e. Krisda (optional, but boosts the caramel flavour!)
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 medium very ripe bananas
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- Combine brown sugar, stevia, raisins and water in a small pot and bring to a simmer. Cook without stirring (swirl the pan) until sugar dissolves.
- Meanwhile, mash bananas with lime juice, vanilla and salt, then stir into syrup.
- Cook, stirring often, 25 minutes.
- Stir in the rum and remove from heat.
- Cool before transferring into a jar and chilling.
Went well on waffles. I know it is supposed to be "jam", but I think I might like it better if the bananas were not mashed, but sliced, and cooked less. Still yummy though.
Made and used a samole on some toast this morning. Very nice flavored jam. Though I did leave out the stevia, it still was flavorful, and when the rest here tried it they loved it. Nice idea and recipe here, Made for New Kids on the Block..