Recipe by nomnom
I adapted this recipe from one I saw online at labellecuisine.com I used all extracts because I'm underage. I have NO clue what Bananas Foster tastes like, so I can't vouch for flavor authenticity. The final product tasted more like a banana cream pie and has a REALLY creamy texture. Frankly, *I* prefer a cakier cheesecake myself, but I enjoyed this. My first attempt at a cheesecake too! Not bad. The recipe doesn't mention a water bath, but I used one anyway. I also used black walnut extract for half of the vanilla because I've seen BF recipes that use nuts (namely pecans). Next time, I'll add more cinnamon in the filling and crust because I love cinnamon.
Top Review by Bogey'sMom
I only changed a couple of things and that was to make it even more figure friendly - I substituted Splenda for the sugar and took three packs of instant brown sugar maple oatmeal and pulverized them, then moistened it well with a fat free butter spray to form the crust. Very tastey - definitely not like some stiff new york cheesecake - lighter in texture, but man, did it hit the spot when we wanted to cheat. I'll definitely try it again and with other fruits in the mix. Excellent recipe.
- 1 graham cracker crust (1-1/2 Ingredient Fiber Crust see my recipes)
- 24 ounces fat free cream cheese
- 6 teaspoons non-nutritive brown sugar substitute (Sweet 'n' Low Brown) or 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 egg whites (same thing either way) or 1 cup fat free egg substitute (same thing either way)
- 2⁄3 cup pureed banana
- 3 tablespoons banana Schnapps or 3⁄4 teaspoon banana extract
- 3 tablespoons light rum or 3⁄4 teaspoon rum extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (I used 1 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp black walnut)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- In a large bowl combine cream cheese, brown sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon.
- Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add egg whites, two at a time, mixing to combine after each addition.
- Beat in puréed banana, banana schnapps, rum and vanilla extract.
- Pour the cream cheese mixture over the crust.
- Bake at 350ºF.
- for 15 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to 225ºF.
- and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until the center no longer looks wet or shiny.
- (Do NOT do the"knife test"- it only made my cake crack ALL over) Remove the cake from the oven and run a knife around the inside edge of the pan.
- Turn the oven off; return the cake to the oven for an additional 30 minutes.
- (I didn't notice this step, but the cake turned out all right, but I'll be sure to remember this NEXT time!:) Chill, uncovered, overnight.
- Enjoy as is or top with caramel sauce or even the REAL Bananas Foster!