Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This was 'invented' when i had the desire for something sweet (and this is about as sweet as it gets!) one night. started off as banana butterscotch dumplings, then i remembered the eggwhites in the fridge, and that dad liked bombe alaska, and this is the result.
- Pre heat oven to 200 degrees celcius.
- Roll out pastry to fit your pie dish and blind bake for about 15 minutes with a weight (such as beans) on the base until just cooked.
- Heat Brown sugar, cream, butter and vanilla until butter melts.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Pour toffee sauce into pie case and refrigerate.
- When toffee becomes firmer (it won't set completely), thinly slice banana and place over toffee, don't worry if it sinks.
- Whisk egg whites, gradually adding icing sugar until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Put icecream on top of bananas.
- Spread meringue over ice cream, ensuring it touchs the edges of the pie crust.
- Dust with icing sugar and bake until the meringue is golden and crunchy.
- Place the pie tray on another larger tray while cooking to catch any explosions.