Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This frozen banana dessert is an extreme dessert and one you really have to make at least once this summer! I won't bore you by telling you how wonderful this dessert is, you will see for yourself. Plan ahead, this needs to be frozen for a minimum of 6 hours, or overnight is even better! Although I have only made this dessert using vanilla ice cream (I used Breyer's French vanilla) you might want to give another flavor a try, but I don't think I would recommend chocolate flavor. If you want to save some time, I imagine that you could purchase store-bought chocolate sauce, instead of making this recipe. There has to be thousands of frozen dessert recipes out there, but this one stands alone! Wonderful to serve for a summertime get together, your guests will be clambering for more, so better make two of these LOL! This dessert takes some time to prepare as far as freezing time goes, so make sure that you have some free time. Prep time does not include the freezing times.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, divided
- 2 cups powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 25 cream-filled Oreo cookies, crushed
- 3 -4 medium firm bananas, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 quarts vanilla ice cream, softened and divided
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained and cut in half
- 3⁄4 cup chopped dry roasted peanuts
- whipped cream
- To make the chocolate sauce: in a saucepan, combine 1/2 cup butter, powdered sugar, evaporated milk and chocolate chips, bring to a boil over medium heat; boil and stir for about 8 minutes, remove from heat and cool completely; set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining 1/4 cup butter; toss with the crushed cookie crumbs.
- Press into a greased 13x9-inch glass freezer-safe baking pan, freeze for 15 minutes.
- Remove from freezer, and arrange banana slices over the crust.
- Carefully spread 1 quart ice cream over the bananas.
- Top with 1 cup of chocolate sauce (that was made earlier on top of the stove).
- Place back in freezer for another 1 hour, and refrigerate remaining sauce.
- After 1 hour, remove from freezer, and top with remaining ice cream.
- Then top the ice cream with the crushed pineapple, cherries and peanuts.
- Freeze for 5-6 hours or overnight.
- Remove from freezer for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with the remaining chocolate sauce (heat the sauce for a couple of minutes in the microwave, or 10 minutes on top of stove before serving).
- Top with whipping cream.
- Absolutely fantastic!