Recipe by Chef mariajane
This takes a bit of time to make, but it's well worth the effort when it's done - especially for anyone that likes ice cream - (like me!)
FOR THE BOMBE
- 2 quarts vanilla ice cream, softened
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 banana, very ripe, mashed (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 pints pistachio ice cream, softened
- 2 pints chocolate ice cream, softened
FOR THE BANANA CAKE
- 1 cup flour, not self-rising, plus more for pan
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ground cloves
- 2 very ripe bananas, 1 mashed, 1/2 cup and 1 very finely chopped, 1/2 cup
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
FOR THE TOPPING
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1⁄4 cup pistachios, chopped for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE BOMBE:.
- Spread vanilla ice cream in an even layer on bottom and up sides of a 5-quart heatproof bowl with a 9 1/2 inch diameter rim. Ice cream should for a concave layer that comes up to the rim of the bowl. Freeze until set, about 20 minutes. Using an offset spatula, smooth the surface of the ice cream layer. Freeze again until very firm, at least an hour.
- Meanwhile, place chocolate and banana in a heat proof bowl., Heat cream in a saucepan until bubbles begin to form around edges. Pour over chocolate and banana, and let stand for 1 mintues. Whisk until combined. Set bowl over a pot of simmering water, and whisk until chololate melts. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until thickened and spreadable, about 1 hour.
- Spread chocolate-banana mixture in a thin even layer over entire surface of vanilla ice cream layer. Freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Spread pistachio ice cream in a flat smooth layer over chololate-banana mixture, but not up sides. Freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Spread chocolate ice cream in a flat, smooth layer over pistachio ice cream. Freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Place banana cake over chocolate ice cream, top side up, and press gently until cake fits snugly against ice cream. (If vanilla ice cream and ganache layers extend beyond top of cake trim them with a sharp knife). Cover with plastic wrap, and freeze overnight, or up to 3 days.
- To unmold the bombe, dip bowl, in a larger bowl or very hot water or use a small kitchen torch to warm outside of bowl. Continue dipping or torching bowl until bombe releases when inverted onto a serving platter. Remove bowl, wipe ice cream drips off platter, and freeze until bombe is very firm, about 1 hour.
- MAKE THE BANANA CAKE:.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Butter a 9-inch round cake pan, line with parchment cut to fit, and butter and flour parchement.
- Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and a pinch of cloves into a medium bowl. Whisk mashed banana, buttermilk and vanilla in a small bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar, with a mixer on medium speed, until smooth. Add egg and beat until well combined. Reduce speed to low, and add flour mixture in 2 additions with banana mixture. Add chopped banana, and beat until well combined. Pour batter into pan and use a spatula to spread batter into an even layer.
- Bake until golden brown and a tester comes about 20 minutes. Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Run a knife around edge of pan, and invert pan onto rack. Remove parchment and flip cake so top side faces up. Let cool completely on wire rack.
- FOR THE TOPPING;
- Place chocolate and shortening in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Stir until chocolate and shortening melt. let cool slightly, then slowly pour on top of bombe, spiraling in concentric circles to create a solid center with long drips down the sides. Sprinkle pistachios on top, and freeze until chocolate is set about 10 minutes.
- Run a large knife under hot water, and dry well. Use it to slice the bombe into sedges, as you would a cake, wiping knife between cuts.