Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This dense cake is similar to a pound cake plus the added flavor of rum.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 3⁄4 cups brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 375F; spray a 10-inch tube or bundt pan with cooking spray.
- To make the cake:.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon; set aside.
- Beat the brown sugar and butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Add the eggs and beat well.
- Combine the bananas, milk and rum in a small bowl.
- Add the flour mixture alternately with the banana mixture to the batter, beating at medium speed after each addition.
- Pour into prepared pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 1 hour or until wooden pick inserted in center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the pan to a wire rack; cool completely.
- To make the glaze:.
- Combine the confectioner's sugar, rum and butter in a small bowl, mixing until smooth.
- Drizzle over the top of the cake.
*Made for Australia/NZ Swap #43* Sorry, Mom-- after using most of my baking utensils, and finding at Step 6 _"Combine bananas, MILK, and rum" -- that there was no milk in the ingredients list ! Now that recipes print on 3 pages, it wasn't immediately obvious. I checked another recipe with similar ingredients, and used 1/4 cup milk. Baked for 60 minutes, which must have been too long-- was disappointed to find cake very dry and almost tasteless -- no banana nor rum flavor. Had to freeze it for the nonce, but will be eaten later, maybe with ice cream.