Recipe by So Happy at Home
I defy even Ben & Jerry's to top this recipe combination! Banana pudding and homemade ice cream combined into one perfect bowl! My daughter prepared this on my birthday to go with my mother-in-law's famous Caramel Cake. Heavenly! You are welcome to dice or slice fresh banana to garnish, but we were so very satisfied with the banana flavor of the finished product that we found it unnecessary. (Be sure to leave the vanilla wafers in chunks, as crumbs would detract from the texture.)
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 3 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1 banana, sliced, for garnish (optional)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 cups nilla wafers, roughly crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the cream and half and half in a medium saucepan, and cook over medium heat until warm (do not boil). Meanwhile, beat the egg yolks with the sugar and vanilla.
- Once the cream mixture is warm, pour 1/2 cup of it into the egg mixture. Stir egg and cream mixture back into the cream and half and half in the pan. Stir in banana slices and heat on medium low for five minutes, or until it becomes slightly thick (once again, do not boil!). Stir in the nutmeg and remove from heat. Allow to rest for 45 minutes. During this time, the bananas will be releasing all their incredible flavor into the cream.
- Remove the banana slices (a colander works well for this), and chill cream overnight, or for at least four hours.
- Freeze according to your ice cream maker's instructions. Stir in the Nilla Wafers, and garnish with sliced banana, if desired.