Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I got this recipe from the October 2004 edition of Midwest Living. The picture of these cookies look absolutely delicious! They had used a football shaped cookie cutter for football season (apparently, it can be found at www.tailgatestotouchdowns.com) but you can use whatever pattern you'd like!
- 1 (8 ounce) package banana muffin, mix (use between a 7 and 8.1 ounce banana-nut muffin mix package)
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 -2 tablespoon milk (optional)
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup white chocolate chips or 1⁄2 cup semisweet chocolate piece
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- For cookies: In a large bowl, stir together muffin mix, flour and brown sugar.
- Add the melted and slightly cooled butter all at once.
- Using a fork, stir just till a soft dough forms (if necessary, add enough milk to form dough).
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Pat or lightly roll till 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut out cookies using a cookie cutter.
- Place two inches apart of cookie sheets, lightly coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 9 to 10 minutes or till cookies begin to brown.
- Remove cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- For butter cream filling: In a medium bowl, beat powdered sugar, the 1/2 cup softened butter and vanilla with an electric mixer till creamy.
- Spread a scant tablespoon of filling on the bottom of 1 cookie, put together with another cookie, bottom sides together, to make a cookie sandwich.
- Repeat with the remaining cookies and filling.
- Place white or chocolate pieces and shortening in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave on 50% power (medium) for 1 to 2 minutes or till pieces are melted and smooth.
- Cool slightly (about 5 minutes).
- Transfer to a heavy resealable plastic bag.
- Cut off tip of one corner of bag.
- Pipe melted chocolate onto cookies to resemble laces on footballs, or whatever design you'd like based on what shape you made the cookies.
- Makes 12 (2 1/2 inch) sandwich cookies.