Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
An exotic tropical twist to flan. Created by Alan Mallett, executive chef at Prairie View University and published in the Houston Chronicle. Time does not include the chilling time.
- 2 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 quart milk
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean
- 1⁄4 teaspoon banana extract
- 4 whole eggs
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat 1 cup sugar in a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat until the sugar begins to caramelize Increase the heat to high and cook until the syrup turns amber in color.
- Remove from heat and pour into 6 ramekins and allow to cool.
- Heat the milk, vanilla bean and remaining sugar over medium heat and let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent scorching Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Once cool, remove vanilla bean and add banana extract.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs and yolks together and add to the cooled milk; mix well and pour into prepared ramekins Bake one hour in a water bath.
- Refrigerate at least two hours before serving.
- To serve, remove flans from ramekins and garnish with fresh berries and fried plantains (if available).