Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
Very old cake recipe of Libbie's. Uses Wesson oil so this was probably one of their recipes. I have recipes that use just egg yolks also for your extras, or you can try egg beaters. i did for 1/2 cup of whites and added the 2 whites from eggs. this is very light cake with good flavor
- 1 1⁄8 cups cake flour, sifted
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup oil, Wesson's
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons water, cold
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup banana, sieved very ripe bananas (used 1 large very ripe )
- 1⁄2 cup egg white, 4 of them
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
WHIPPED CREAM FILLING
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients.
- Add oil and egg yolks, cold water, water ,vanilla, lemon zest, and banana.
- Beat really good.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar together.
- Beat very stiff; do not under beat.
- Do not stir; just fold the beaten egg whites very gently into the banana mixture.
- Pour batter into an ungreased angel food pan.
- Bake 50 minutes. at 350 degrees
- When baked, turn pan upside down and cool.
- When cake is cold, split crosswise 3 times into 3 layers.
- Spread with whipped cream filling between layers and top.
- WHIPPED CREAM FILLING:.
- In a chilled bowl, beat the whipping cream very stiff.
- Add vanilla and powdered sugar gradually.