Recipe by mielhollinger
Simply the world's greatest loaf. For added sweetness, add 1/2 cup of chocolate chips to this recipe. (This recipe is from the cookbook "How It All Vegan.")
Top Review by epiphany
I have made this bread three times now and love it. I used honey instead of the sugar substitute. The second time I was out of lemon juice but made it anyway. It did not taste nearly as good. Always use the lemon juice! Today I used whole wheat flour instead of white. It is still good that way but the whole wheat taste overpowers the banana. Still very good.
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup artificial sweetener
- 3⁄4 cup chopped dates
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In s small bowl, mash the banana with a fork until very mushy, then add the lemon juice, oil, sweetener, and dates and stir together.
- In a separate large bowl, stir together the flour, wheat germ, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and mix together gently until just mixed.
- Spoon into a lightly oiled loaf pan and bake for 40-50 minutes.
- Test with a knife to see if done.