Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
After trying many recipes for banana bread, this is the one we like the best. Very moist and aromatic. Delicious!
- 2 bananas, very ripe
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas.
- Add the egg, buttermilk, brown sugar and vanilla.
- Whisk all together until egg yoke has broken and mixture is well mixed.
- In a large bowl, measure the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Whisk all together until thoroughly mixed.
- Stir in the liquid ingredients just until all dry ingredients are moistened. There will be lumps.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan (9" x 5").
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Test for doneness with toothpick inserted into middle of loaf - it should come out clean.
- Cool loaf in pan for 5 minutes, then carefully turn out onto a rack to cool thoroughly.
- Can be stored at room temperature if you're going to eat it up within a couple of days.
- Otherwise store in the fridge.
My favorite banana bread recipe. I love that there is no added oils or fats. Sometimes I sub self-rising flour for the flour, baking soda and baking powder.
I had a few bananas on my counter that were getting pretty ripe that I needed to use up and a pint of buttermilk that was close to expiring so i searched zaar for a recipe to use both ingredients and I found this recipe. I can't believe how moist and dense this bread turned out. Really delicious bread. The whole family enjoyed it. A definite repeat in our house. Thank you!
Wonferful banana bread! One of the best that I've tried! I don't think I've ever made banana bread with only brown sugar. I like the fact that there is no oil or butter in this, yet it is very moist and tasty! This was one of the easiest recipes I have made on Recipezaar! Thanks for posting this great recipe!