Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
Don't forget the hamburger buns! I didn't include them in the ingredient list because I didn't want them included in the nutrition analysis since buns vary so much.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus more for grates
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- coarse salt and pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 4 equal pieces (ribs and seeds removed)
- 8 portabella mushrooms, stems removed (about 1 pound total)
- 5 ounces fresh goat cheese, cut into 4 equal slices
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 slices vidalia onions
- In a shallow dish, whisk together oil, vinegar, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add bell pepper and mushrooms; toss gently to coat. Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes (or refrigerate, up to overnight).
- Heat grill to medium; lightly oil grates. Grill bell pepper, skin side down, until blackened, about 10 minutes; remove from grill. When cool enough to handle, remove and discard skin; set bell pepper aside.
- Grill mushrooms, covered, until lightly charred and tender, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Dividing evenly, top the bottom half of each bun with bell pepper, mushrooms, goat cheese, onion slice and lettuce. Close burgers, and serve immediately.
- Note: A large shallow dish allows the marinade to evenly coat the vegetables. Portobello burgers are nice and juicy because the mushroom caps underside thirstily absorbs the marinade.