Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
These eggplant stacks are perfect as a dinner party appetiser, and just as good with a bit of salad for a mid-week meal (when it's acceptable to use dried herbs instead of fresh). Adapted from a Yoga Journal recipe.
- 1 large eggplant, thickly sliced
- 2 fresh tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 250 g provolone cheese, thickly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh oregano
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 200C (400F).
- Brush eggplant slices with olive oil and place on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 30 minutes, turning the slices over halfway through.
- Remove eggplant from the oven, drizzle with balsamic and sprinkle with salt, pepper and oregano.
- Top eggplant with tomato slices, drizzle with balsamic and sprinkle with salt pepper and basil.
- Place cheese on top of tomato and return to the over for 5 minutes, or until cheese has melted. Serve immediately.