Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
A classic english tart Moderately Easy to make Will keep for 3-4 days in an airtight container.
Make and share this Bakewell Tart recipe from Food.com.
- 175 g plain flour
- 85 g chilled butter, diced
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 25 g sliced almonds
- 85 g ground almonds
- 85 g butter, room temperature
- 85 g golden caster sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 -2 drop almond essence
- 25 g icing sugar
- Gently heat the ground almonds for the filling in a small frying pan,stirring often, for 1-2 minutes to lightly brown.Cool. rub the flour & diced, chilled butter together with your fingers to make fine crumbs.Stir in 1 tbsp of icing sugar,then the yolk, then gradually add 3 tbsp cold water or enough so that the dough comes together.Gather it into a ball.
- Roll the pastry on to a lightly floured surface & use to line a 4cm deep 20cm fluted flan tin,fitting the pastry into each flute so that it does not shrink during baking. Chill for 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 200c/fan 18oc/gas 6. Line the pastry with greaseproof paper & baking beans & bake for 12 minutes, then remove paper & beans & bake for a further 5 minutes. Lower the heat to 180c/fan160c/gas4. Cream the butter & sugar for the filling with a electric whisk until light & creamy. Gradually add teh eggs, beating well after each addition - the mixture will look curdled.Lightly fold in the ground almonds & almond essence.
- Spread jam over the base of the pastry.Pour over the almond filling, sprinkle with almonds & bake for 25-30 minutes until pale golden. Cool slightly. to make the icing,sift the sugar into a bowl& stir in a few drops of cold water to make a thickish consistency. Drizzle it over the tart, allow to set.
The pastry crust is FANTASTIC on these! The texture of the bakewell is off just a bit. I bit into it expecting it to be more smooth, almost like marzipan but it is a bit choppy. That could be the ground almonds, though. I think next time I'll sift the almonds after they've been ground and weed out the chunky bits. I'll try these again definitely!!
Lovely & delicious! Didn't make the icing as I prefer the more trad 'pudding' rather than an iced tart. Also cheated & used a ready-made sweet pastry tart. Will keep this for another time! Thanks!
Love Bakewell tart and make it every year at Xmas time. Even those who never heard of it love it. Highly recommend this recipe - enjoy everyone. A pleasant change from some of the very rich sweets.