Recipe by COOKGIRl
*AN ADOPTED RECIPE*. If you love yams as I do, you will love this combination of flavors! Enjoy!
Top Review by Lorac
A wonderful combination of honey flavored yams and fresh lime juice. I made half the recipe with 3 medium yams (about 2 pounds)and dry baked them for 1 hour. The fresh lime shines as a distinctive flavor instead of being just part of a sweet-sour combination. The sour cream mellowed the acidic bite and added a richness. This is a side dish that would compliment most main courses without the overpowering sweetness of the more typical versions.
- 3 large yams (abt 4 lbs)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 -4 limes, juice of, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- sour cream, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash the yams and place in a baking dish with the water.
- Bake until the potatoes are soft and the skins puffy, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Set aside to cool slightly (leave the oven on).
- Peel the yams and place in a medium baking dish.
- Add the honey, butter, lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Stir and mash well with a potato masher.
- Cover with aluminum foil and return to the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until heated through.
- Sprinkle the top with sour cream and serve hot.