Recipe by swissms
For years I never ate oatmeal due to the "mushy" texture. After seeing a baked oatmeal prepared on FoodNetwork, it inspired me to come up with a few baked oatmeal recipes inspired by some popular baked goods. This oatmeal has a much more firm texture. Check out my recipes for Baked " Apple Oatmeal Raisin Cookie" Oatmeal and Baked " Cranberry Nut Bread" Oatmeal.
Top Review by swanddwarfs
Based on the recipe as stated without using the optional ingredients, I found the oatmeal to be too mushy and more like traditional oatmeal than baked oatmeal (at least compared to the baked oatmeal recipe that I normally use). The flavor was good, though, so I made this a second time but reduced the milk by half and increased the oatmeal to 1 1/2 cups. It was no longer mushy, and I liked it a lot more. I will definitely make this again with the changes. This was a great way to use up frozen bananas and also tasted great with chocolate chips.
- 236.59 ml quick oats or 264.98 ml old fashioned oats
- 78.07 ml sugar
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 0.59 ml nutmeg (optional)
- 0.25 ml salt
- 354.88 ml milk
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 59.14 ml coarsely chopped pecans
- 59.14 ml golden raisin (optional)
- 59.14 ml crushed pineapple (reduce milk if add pineapple due to added moisture, optional, optional) (optional) or 59.14 ml pineapple tidbits (reduce milk if add pineapple due to added moisture) (optional)
- 29.58-59.16 ml sugar (to create brulee topping) (optional) or 29.58-59.16 ml brown sugar (optional)
- 59.14-118.29 ml toasted pecans (optional)
- 118.29 ml sliced banana (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In large bowl, combine oats, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In medium bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, and vanilla. Stir in the mashed banana.
- Add the milk mixture to the oat mixture and stir until combined.
- Stir in the chopped pecans, golden raisins and/or pineapple.
- Pour into 4-6 small souffle or brulee dishes or one larger baking dish (such as an 8x8-inch dish). (You may want to lightly spray baking dish with cooking spray.).
- Bake 20-30 minutes (small baking dishes) or 30-40 minutes (large baking dish), or until slightly firm to touch. (Baking time will vary depending on the diameter of your baking dishes.).
- Sprinkle with sugar (optional: use torch to create a brulee topping). Garnish with toasted pecans and sliced bananas.