Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
Garlic and parmesan coat these rich jewels of the sea. Serve them as a first course to an elegant feast or enjoy them as a main course on a bed of pasta and wilted spinach
- Preheat oven 375°F Oil a 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil and garlic.
- In another bowl, combine crackers and Parmesan cheese.
- Dip oysters into oil mixture then coat with crumb mixture until evenly coated.
- Arrange in baking dish. Sprinkle with sherry and any remaining cracker mixture.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes to brown.
I really wanted to like these but they turned out rather poorly. I could not get them to crisp or even properly brown despite baking them longer than suggested. I recommend the use of a very shallow tray or cookie sheet if you want the best result.
If these had looked prettier, they would have earned 5 stars since you eat with your eyes first :). That said, the taste was really wonderful! Instead of crackers, I used panko, which gave them a wonderful crunch, even if they didn't brown very well. The timing in the recipe was perfect for me- at 15 minutes they were set enough to not be mushy, but still soft enough to not be rubbery. Usually I have oysters deep fried, so I don't eat them very often. I'm so glad to try a baked option- next time I think I'll try cooking them next time on a rack over a baking sheet to see if they'll brown a bit better.
Terrible! Couldn't brown them in the baking dish. (Suggestion to use cookie sheet, perhaps.) Tasteless and mushy even after cooking them longer than recipe states.