Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Muskellunge (also known as muskie or musky) are large freshwater fish of North America. They are the largest member of the pike family, and are primarily found in the Great Lakes Region. Cooking time is approximate based on the size of the fish. From the Wisconsin Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 10 -14 lbs Muskellunge, cleaned and scaled (pike can also be used)
- 1 cup butter
- salt and pepper, to taste (lemon pepper is wonderful in baked fish)
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a baking pan.
- Clean and rinse fish thoroughly.
- Rub with butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place fish in prepared pan and bake, allowing 10 minutes for each pound.
- It may be necessary to baste the fish if it is sufficiently large to require more than one hour.
- Use 2 tablespoons butter in one cup of water and baste every twn minutes if necessary to prevent fish from drying out.