Recipe by Crafty Lady 13
Easy to make homemade pretzels. These are lightly sweetened with honey and baked in the oven.
Top Review by CoffeeB
These are a wonderful little tasty delight that actually were quite easy to make. A bit time consuming for me to get them to roll out correctly, (I think I needed more water.) but once I got the hang of it, they went together nicely. Next time I'll try using wholewheat flour and some flax w/cinnamon to the dough b/f rolling. Perfect!! Made for Feb. Bev. Tag 08~
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Put the yeast in a small bowl with the water and honey. Stir a little, then let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.
- Mix the flour and salt together in a medium-size bowl. After the 5 minutes is up, check on the yeast mixture. It should be bigger than before and a little bubbly. Add this mixture to the flour and salt mixture. Stir everything together. Use a spoon to start. Finish with your hands. The dough is ready when it's still a little crumbly and flaky.
- Put the dough on the cutting board and knead it like you are playing with clay. Knead it into one big ball. Break off a piece of dough that's about the size of a large gumball. Use your hands to roll it into a skinny snake. Twist the rolled dough into a medium-sized pretzel shape, and put it on a cookie sheet. Do this with all the dough, making 12 pretzels.
- Bake for 10 minutes and allow to cool slightly before biting into them.
- Tip: If you like, you can sprinkle the pretzels with coarse salt before baking them.