Recipe by Emily Nelfnoffen
I like this as it has a light flavour without being too salty or too sweet. When I made it, I used small red beans. Next time, I plan on doubling this because as is, it was simply gone too fast!
- 1 lb navy beans or 1 lb kidney beans or 1 lb red beans or 1 lb black beans or 1 lb pinto beans
- 1 small onion, chopped fine (optional)
- 7 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (and one teaspoon if you like this sweeter)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 cup butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Precook beans in boiling water for 2 minutes. Cover and let stand 1 hour. Then simmer for 1 hour until tender. Drain, reserving liquid. Mix beans with onion if using. Place beans in crock pot.
- Mix 1 1/2 cup reserved liquid, brown sugar, molasses, salt and mustard. Pour over beans and dot with butter. Cover and cook for 6-12 hours on low setting.
- Meat could be added as the beans are put in the crockpot, salt pork cut into chunks, or bacon as your personal preferences desire.
- The crockpot can be used on high to half cooking time, but the longer slower cooking time gives the beans a truly deep and rich flavour.