3 hrs 15 mins
The word Sousbone is an Afrikaans word, and it literly means gravy beans. I am posting this recipe because I am seeing all the baked bean ones and this is the most yummy beans recipe ever. It is a very old South African one. I hope you all enjoy it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak the beans overnight in about 4 cups of water.
- 2Cook the beans till just soft. (This does take some time)Keep the beans just covered with liquid all the time.
- 3You can rinse the beans once during cooking. I don't normally because I rinse in boiling water before I put them on to cook.
- 4Mix the cornstarch with the vinegar and add to the beans together with sugar.
- 5Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Cook a few minutes more to thicken the gravy.
- 7They may be eaten hot or cold.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Beans or "sousbone"
Serving Size: 1 (20 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 52.3
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 5.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 11.7 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
speckled sugar beans