This is probably one of the easiest dinner meals to make and as a kid i absolutely loved this dish (many fond memories!). It can easily be prepared ahead and placed in the fridge ready to go to put in the oven.
- Place potatoes in a large pot of salted water. Bring to the boil and cook for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Drain potatoes before returning them to the pot over a high heat. Toss for a few moments to evaporate any excess water.
- Add the milk and butter to the pan and mash potatoes until smooth. Cover with a lid and set aside.
- Heat a little oil in a large fry-pan. Add the sausages and fry, turning occasionally, until cooked through. Set aside and allow to cool slightly.
- When sausages are cool enough to handle cut sausages into 3cm lengths.
- In a large casserole dish, mix together the sausages and baked beans until well combined. Spread the mash potatoes evenly over the top of the baked bean mixture. Top with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for about half an hour or until the cheese has melted and the casserole has heated through.