Recipe by carole in orlando
This is a favorite of my grandsons and all my kids. I found it on RecipeUSA and adapted it for sugar free apple butter. Of course, there is sugar in the apples, but none added to the recipe. It's great on toast or as a condiment.
Top Review by Patchwork Dragon
I have no experience of fruit butters, as they aren't really known very much in the UK. But I love the idea of them and this is the first one of i've made. I have nothing to comare it with so I've no idea if itcame out right...but it tastes :yummy:
- 8 large granny smith apples, peeled and diced
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
Directions See How It's Made
- Place peeled and diced apples in a large saucepan with the unsweetened apple juice.
- Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes, until apples are tender.
- Mash the apples to the consistency you prefer.
- Add the spices and Splenda (or sugar if you like) and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a 9x13-inch baking pan and place in a preheated oven at 275°F.
- Bake for approximately 3 hours, stirring every hour and remove when the apple butter is the consistency you like.
- Pour into clean jars with tight fitting lids, with lids just lightly placed on top.
- Let cool, tighten lids and refrigerate.
- I can't keep it long enough to worry about it spoiling!