Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
My husband is a huge fan of homemade mac n' cheese but I was getting tired of the same tired elbows with bechamel sauce and cheddar cheese. So I put this spin on my old recipe last night and it was soooo delicious!! Even my 1 year old loved it.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 slices bacon, chopped, turkey okay
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3 slices American cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheese, shredded, cheddar and colby jack blend
- 1 cup elbow macaroni
- 1 cup broccoli floret, chopped
- parmesan cheese, for topping
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil elbow macaroni in salted water for 10 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Heat butter in saute pan and add chopped bacon and shallots. Cook until bacon is crispy and shallots are tender.
- Add paprika and flour to form a roux, stirring to incorporate and cook down flour.
- Add milk, heat until simmering. Add cheese and melt.
- Stir to incorporate, add salt and pepper to taste. Add macaroni and broccoli and pour into a greased casserole dish.
- Top with parmasean cheese and bake uncovered for 20 minutes.