Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This quintessential recipe must be accompanied by scordalia and beet salad-- otherwise it's not the same.
- Soak your cod in water overnight, maybe even two nights depending on how big and thick it is. Replace water often.
- When your cod is desalinated, shred it with your hands or with a fork.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour and beer, making a thick, slushy batter. I didn't specify any amounts because that depends on the amount of fish you have.
- Now, throw your fish shreds into the batter and mix.
- In a large skillet, heat some corn oil (fill about halfway full) on high heat.
- Plop in a few large spoonfuls of the batter into the oil. Don't put the spoonfuls too close to each other in the skillet- you want separate fritters, not conjoined ones. Turn them over after one side is done.
- Let them turn golden brown and drain on paper towels.
- EAT WITH SCORDALIA AND BEETS!