Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
My original intention with this recipe was to make a Fried Green Tomato BLT Sandwich. I adore fried green tomatoes, I love their tang and their overall flavor and thought they'd be the perfect replacement for a red tomato in the traditional BLT sandwich. Well...I can't find green tomatoes...anywhere. I've called every single grocery store near me...no one has them. The farmer's market is a little far away for me to drive out for just a tomato, and the other one (that I know of!) nearby has the same hours that we were in church. I'm sure there are others and I'm hoping to discover them this summer. So I decided to try the sandwich with a tomatillo instead. It goes like this...pull off the leafy outside. Slice. Saute with salt and pepper. Put on sandwich. Loved the tangy flavor that the tomatillos added to the sandwich...great complement to the slight tang in the mayo, plus the crisp from the bacon. Delightful sandwich here y'all!
- 8 slices bacon
- 3 large tomatillos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 8 slices bread
- 4 iceberg lettuce leaves
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise, for spreading
- fresh fruit
- carrot sticks
- Cook the bacon. (I cooked an entire package in the oven. Saved some for the next day's breakfast.).
- Remove the leafy outside and slice the tomatillos. Add the olive oil to a skillet and sauté the tomatillos over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes, or until begin to turn opaque. Flip and sauté another minute or two, remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pull apart the lettuce and fold into sandwich size pieces.
- Spread about 1/2 tables spoon on each slice of bread (or one side if you want less mayo), assemble sandwich with lettuce, 2 slices of bacon, broken to fit, and sautéed tomatillo slices.
- Serve B-L-Tomatillo Sandwich with sides of fresh fruit, carrot sticks and chips.