Recipe by Wildflour
We used to love to go to this old family owned drive-in restaurant called Romano's. These hoagies were incredible! This is my version of them. They closed years ago unfortunately. :(
Top Review by Timothy H.
Made this a couple weeks ago! I think this is as good as any sub that I've had lately, thou I am not a big sub fan! It turned out very well. My only suggestion is not to use to much mayo on the bottom, it will over whelm the sandwich.
- 4 hoagie rolls, split, bottom half hollowed out leaving a 1/2 shell
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise, more if needed
- 16 slices virginia-baked ham, boiled ham (thin slices) or 16 slices leftover ham (thin slices)
- 1⁄2 cup Italian salad dressing, more if needed
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- salt and pepper
- 12 slices tomatoes (very thin slices)
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread inside bottoms of rolls with mayo. Toss ham slices in dressing.
- Pile ham inside rolls, don’t lay flat.
- Mix cheeses together, pile on top of ham. Wrap each in foil loosely, sealing top of foil closed.
- Bake in 350º oven for 20 minutes or til heated through and cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven.
- Spread top rolls with butter and broil til butter is melted and tops are lightly toasted.
- While tops are toasting, open foil and top hoagies with lettuce tossed in a little salt and pepper, then top with tomato slices.
- Do this fairly quickly so your tops don’t burn under the broiler!
- Then place on tops and enjoy!
- *You can spread tops with additional mayo if desired.