Recipe by OceanLuvinGranny
I got this from an old friend. It is easy and quite good. Just make the omelet as you would normally with the diced avocado in the middle when you fold the omelet. Then pour the sauce over it. YUM! I added shredded pepper jack cheese like you would in a normal omelet. You could also use plain cheddar.
Top Review by dolliegyrl
I wouldn't call the sauce a true sauce, I would call it a topping. It is not pretty to look at BUT it tastes AMAZING! My husband ate 3 omelets by himself! The flavors are really good...and this is coming from a person who hates omelets! It is very satisfying and filling. I will make it again, thanks for sharing the recipe. I had never heard of an avocado omelet before this! I always have overripe tomatoes and avocadoes on hand...this works for me!
- 6 eggs
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or as desired)
- 1 dash pepper (or as desired)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- grated cheese, as desired (I used pepper jack but you could use any you desire)
- 1 small onion, diced (I used green onions, tops only but you could use regular onion if you prefer)
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons bacon bits (or as desired, can also use the imitation bacon bits for vegetarian)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder (can use more if desired)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies (you could also just put these in the omelet instead of the sauce, however you prefer)
- 2 avocados
Directions See How It's Made
- In med. skillet cook onions, tomatoes, salt, pepper and chili powder in butter. Simmer several minutes or until onions are soft.
- Remove from heat.
- While onions are simmering, peel avocados and reserve a few slices for garnish.
- Mash remaining avocados and add to the onion mixture. Simmer a few minutes to unite flavors.
- Serve the sauce in a small pitcher or gravy boat so that your guests & family can "pour it on.".
- Make the omelet from the omelet ingredients as you would a normal omelet with the diced avocado in the middle, and the cheese. Pour the sauce over the cooked omelet and enjoy. YUM!