Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe came out of Paula Deen's Cookbook. This is a basic meat loaf that is my go to meat loaf recipe. My family loves it!!! This meat loaf recipe is the best for next day meat loaf sandwiches. I feed a family of 5 so I double the recipe.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup chopped vidalia onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, tomato paste, onion, green pepper, oats, eggs, salt and pepper. Shape the mixture into a loaf and place it in a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard. Slather the glaze on top of the meat loaf and bake for 1 hour or until the meat loaf is firm and cooked all the way through. Serve hot.
This is a delicious, flavorful basic meatloaf. Very similar to mine, but a whole lot quicker to put together. It would be a perfect base for adding other favorite ingredients that your family enjoys. The Dijon mustard in the glaze gives it a little zing that we really enjoyed. The only change that I made was to use old fashioned oats instead of the quick cooking. We enjoyed this meatloaf the next day in sandwiches, too. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe...it is definitely a keeper!
**Made for PAC Fall 2012**