Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From A New Atkins for A New You. Suitable for phases 2-4. Toasting the nuts enhances the flavor. Add more garlic if you prefer.
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves, fresh, tightly packed
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Combine basil, pine nuts, parmesan, garlic, and salt in a food processor or blender; pulse until finely chopped.
- Add oil in a slow and steady stream with machine running; process until fairly smooth but not pureed.
- Serve right away, or refrigerate in airtight container for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to one month.
- Mix pesto with mayo or cream cheese for a quick dip or thick sauce to spoon over fish, chicken, beef, or steamed veggies. It's also atop slices of tomato and mozzarella.