Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this on the internet years ago. It's easy and the butter is made ahead and frozen. The butter is also good on all kinds of veggies. From Al Rice, North Pole Alaska. The cook time is the freezing time.
- 1 navel orange
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons fresh cilantro or 2 teaspoons parsley, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lbs asparagus, trimmed
- Grate 2 teaspoons orange zest; place in small bowl.
- Squeeze juice.
- To orange zest, add butter, 1 tablespoon orange juice, cilantro, ginger and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- With portable mixer, beat to blend.
- Place on plastic wrap; roll up to form a 3-inch log, twisting ends.
- Freeze 30 minutes, or refrigerate overnight.
- After butter mixture has set, cook asparagus: peel bottom third of asparagus spears with vegetable peeler.
- In large, deep skillet, combine 2 cups water, remaining orange juice, 1 /2 teaspoon salt and the asparagus; heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat; simmer, partially covered, 4 minutes or until tender.
- Drain; place on platter.
- Remove butter from freezer; unwrap.
- Slice into 1/4-inch rounds; place on hot asparagus.
- Per serving: 120 calories, 5 g protein, 6 g carbohydrate, 10 g 6t, 26 mg.
- cholesterol, 271 mg sodium.
Delicious dish and it makes a really great presentation as well. Loved the flavors -- DH and I polished off all of it -- no leftovers. Served this asparagus with a rotisserie chicken injected with a soy sauce/orang juice sauce. The two of these dishes really went well together. Made for Spring PAC, April, 2014.
Oh WOW! My family loves asparagus (all except the toddler) & this is our new favorite way of making it. DS helped by zesting & juicing the orange. We love fresh ginger & I had to use parsley as that's what I had on hand but when we make this again I'll try the cilantro, which I expect will be equally good. We devoured 2 full bunches of asparagus in one sitting. Honestly, I could eat the pats of butter like candy. THAT's how good this is! Made & enjoyed in Don's memory. We're thinking of you, lazyme! :)
What a tasty butter for the asparagus. Easy to prepare. Made for the lazyme cookathon