Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From The Best Recipes In The World; Mark Bittman.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb asparagus, trimmed and peeled
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons butter (or more)
- 4 eggs
- 8 slices ham, thinly sliced (optional)
- 12 -16 slices parmesan cheese, paper thin slices
- Poach or steam the asparagus in or over boiling salted water until it is bright green and just tender, 3 to 7 minutes, depending upon thickness. Meanwhile, put 4 Tbs butter in a small saucepan and turn the heat to low.
- Add at least 2 Tbs butter to a large skillet, preferably non-stick, and turn the heat to medium. When the butter melts, crack the eggs into the skillet and cook, sprinkling with salt and pepper and adjusting the heat as necessary, until the whites are no longer runny, about 5 minutes.
- Drain the asparagus when it is done and divide among 4 plates. Turn off the heat under the butter the moment it begins to turn brown; if the eggs are not quite ready, keep it warm over the lowest possible heat.
- Top the asparagus with a portion of ham if you're using it, then a fried egg, then a drizzle of the browned butter, and finally a few slices of Parmesan.
- Serve immediately.