Recipe by Luby Luby Luby
I love fresh asparagus and I'm always looking for different ways to prepare it. This is very rich and if you don't like a lot of salt you may want to use only one-half of the onion soup mixture. Our tastes run on the "heavy salted" side so we like to sop up the left-over juice with a piece of crusty french bread. If you like a lot of cheese feel free to increase the mozzarella to 1/2 cup or to taste. Watch closely while in the oven to make sure it doesn't burn. The onion/butter mixture is enough for 2 pounds but you can refrigerate the remainder for another time. I even cut the amount back to 2 Tbsp of butter mixture dribbled over one pound and found it was plenty - it's all personal preference.
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 Stick)
- 1 ounce dry onion soup mix (1 Packet)
- 1⁄4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- black pepper
- white pepper
- garlic powder
- ground cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Rinse asparagus and snap off hard ends.
- Place asparagus in 8" microwave safe dish and cover with plastic wrap.
- Microwave on high for 5 minutes then remove and set aside still covered.
- In microwave safe bowl melt butter.
- Add dry onion soup mix to melted butter, stirring until well mixed.
- Drain water off asparagus and place in oven proof baking dish.
- Drizzle with 4 tbsp of butter/onion soup mixture.
- Sprinkle with black pepper, white pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper to taste, tossing gently.
- Sprinkle with parmesean cheese and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in oven for 5 minutes, turning halfway through cooking time.